THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT
SUPPLIER PRIVACY NOTICE
This document explains how we obtain, use and disclose your personal information, in
accordance with the requirements of the Protection of Personal Information Act (“POPIA”).
At Hoek’s Toyota Swellendam (including our website) we are committed to protecting your
privacy and to ensure that your personal information is collected and used properly, lawfully
and transparently in line with the POPI Act.
The information we collect
We collect and process your personal information mainly to contact you for the purposes of
understanding your requirements and delivering services accordingly. For this purpose, we
will collect contact details including your name and organisation. We collect information
directly from you where you provide us with your personal details. Where possible, we will
inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is
optional. Website usage information may be collected using “cookies” which allows us to
collect standard internet visitor usage information.
How we use your information
We will use your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and
agreed upon. In addition, where necessary your information may be retained for legal or
- To gather contact information;
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised user for security purposes;
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, money laundering or other malpractice;
- To conduct market or supplier satisfaction research or for statistical analysis;
- For audit and record keeping purposes;
- In connection with legal proceedings;
- Trade references.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your personal information to our service providers who are involved in the
delivery of products or services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they
comply with the privacy requirements as required by the Protection of Personal Information
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the personal information we hold
and to stop unauthorized access and use of personal information. Our security controls and
related processes will be reviewed, on an on-going basis, to ensure that your personal
information remains secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we work together with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and
confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that personal information that we remain
responsible for, is kept secure. We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your personal
information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are
Your Rights: Access to information
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do
this, simply contact us at the numbers or addresses as provided on our website and below
and specify what information you require. We will need a copy of your ID document to
confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information. Please note that
any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee.
Correction of your information
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will
require a copy of your ID document to confirm your identity before making changes to any
personal information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would keep your
personal information accurate and up to date.
Definition of personal information
According to the Act ‘‘personal information’’ means information relating to an identifiable,
living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person.
Further to the POPI Act, COR Concepts also includes the following items as personal
- All addresses including residential, postal and email addresses.
- Change of name – for which we require copies of the marriage certificate or official change of name document issued by the state department.
How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice; you need further information about our privacy
practices; wish to withdraw consent; exercise preferences or access or correct your personal
information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed below.